sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:jonathonf/python-3.5 && sudo apt update && sudo apt install python3.5
sudo add-apt-repository universe && sudo apt-get update &&
sudo dpkg -i overgrive_3.3.x_all.deb
sudo apt install -f
1. Getting Started - Launch overGrive Setup
- Start the application from the dash by searching for overgrive.
2. Connect account - Authorize your Google Drive account
- Click Connect account.
- NOTE: Sync options will be available after connecting your account.
- A browser window will open for you to sign in to your Google account.
- NOTE: Mint users there seems to be a problem on Mint regarding what default browser is set. If a browser window does not open when clicking Connect account, try the following command from a terminal window and select Firefox or Chrome as you default browser: sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
- Allow overGrive permission to access your Google Drive.
- Click Allow to continue.
- You will be given a authorization token code by Google. Copy this code.
- Paste your Google authorization code in the Account entry box provided.
- Click Validate to validate the code.
- Once connected your account email and online storage usage will be displayed.
- To use another account click Disconnect account and connect the other account.
- Select which local folder will be used to sync or backup to Google Drive. By default a Google Drive folder will be created in your Home Folder. Click Change to select a different local folder.
- Select which Google Drive folders to sync to your computer. You have to connect an account before this option becomes available.
- Choose how files and folders are removed from Google Drive.
- The default Remove items everywhere will remove items to the trash folder on Google Drive when items are deleted locally.
- Do not remove items everywhere will ignore items deleted locally and not delete items on Google Drive. NOTE: If the items are still set to sync, the items will be downloaded the next time you click Sync Now or changes to the files are detected on Google Drive online and Auto Sync is selected.
- Ask me before removing items everywhere. When items are deleted locally, you will be asked to confirm before items are removed from Google Drive.
- You can also select if you would like overGrive to convert your Google Docs to office file formats that can be edited locally.
- Select which file format to use for each of the Google Docs formats.
- Changes made locally to Documents, Spreadsheets and Presentations created from original Google Docs will be synced back to Google Drive as revisions of the original Google Docs.
- Only backup files and folders from your local computer to Google Drive. Backup mode.
- All items in your local folder will be uploaded to Google Drive.
- No files will be synced from Google Drive to your local machine.
- Only new items locally will be uploaded to Google Drive. If the Google Drive item version is newer than the local version, the local item will be ignored.
- Item changes on Google Drive will be ignored.
- Local files can be deleted without items being removed from Google Drive.
- You can switch between Sync and Backup mode as required.
- KDE, Lubuntu and LXDE desktop users select the Prefer Light Icon Theme if they cannot see the application icon clearly.
- Click Advanced to exclude files by extension.
- Add and Remove extensions as required.
- All files with the extensions listed will be ignored during backup and sync.
4. First Sync
- Once you have completed setting your preferences. Click Start Sync
- Your files will be synchronized to your local Google Drive folder from your Google Drive online.
- Files in your Shared with me folder will only be synced if they are dragged to My Drive on Google Drive online. Only files and folders in your My Drive will be synced.
- Before syncing for the first time, we suggest you clear all Trash files from your Google Drive online.
- NOTE : It is important to allow overGrive to finish the first sync completely. If the first sync does not complete it will open the overGrive setup screen again on restart. You can simply select Start Sync again to complete the synchronization process.
5. Activate License
- When restarting overGrive the license activation dialog will appear. Click Activate
- To activate the license enter the license activation code emailed to you, in the box provided and click Activate again.
- NOTE: The license code is only valid for the Google Account used during registration. If you get an Activation code error it is because the Google account used is not correct or the code was not copied and pasted correctly. The current connected account is show in the preferences menu.
* Gnome Shell Application Indicator display on top bar (Older GNOME Desktop Users Only)
- Ubuntu 16.04 and older Gnome desktop users that prefer to have the application indicators displayed on the the top bar of the desktop can do so by installing the KStatusNotifierItem Gnome Shell Extension.
- Simply visit the Gnome Extensions page at https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/615/appindicator-support
- Click on the toggle switch to enable the extension. You might need to log out en back in before the changes will take effect or use Alt+F2 and r as the command and press enter.
- If your you cannot install the Top Bar Shell Extension you need to install the Gnome Shell Integration plugin first. For more information see http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/01/install-gnome-shell-extensions-firefox-chrome
* Elementary OS - Fix top bar application indicators (Pantheon Desktop Users Only)
This article explains how to re-enable AppIndicators on elementary OS Juno:
- Mint Cinnamon desktop: